Open Development Cambodia (ODC) and the Cambodia ICT Camp Advisory Committee are pleased to announce that the “Cambodia ICT Camp 2022” will be held from 23rd to 25th June 2022 in Siem Reap province, Cambodia.
The Cambodia ICT Camp 2022 will be a three-day boarding-style event centered around open data, digital security, and data journalism. This event will consist of a series of interactive workshops and hands-on activities led by professional experts in data, media and communication, journalism, and technology. Participants in the event will consist of Cambodian nationals from diverse – but interrelated – fields, namely media and journalism, civil society organizations, digital rights working groups, government, private sector, university lecturers, and students.
The 120 Camp participants will have the opportunity to learn, network, and become active members of a community of alike professionals. The Camp will be an engaging opportunity for in-depth learning and exploring the real-life applications of open data and digital technologies. Participants will be encouraged to delve into the potential use of such tools for addressing societal issues and building inclusive communities.
The main topics covered in the Camp will be:
- Open Data:
- Open Data: an introduction
- Open source technology and toolkits
- Data catalog
- How to build communities of data users and promote Open Data literacy
- How to manage datasets, locate data and ensure data quality, timeliness, and accuracy
- Data science 101
- Open data policy
- Open government
- Data for development (showcase)
- Using data science to improve public services
- Open data on Environmental impact assessments
- Introduction to Kobo toolbox
- Digital Security:
- Smartphone: Data Privacy and Protection
- Secured messaging applications
- Introduction to various cybersecurity and digital privacy toolkits
- Cybersecurity: Legal Framework
- ICT Infrastructure and Cyber Security
- Cyber Norms Operationalization in Cambodia/ASEAN
- Data-Centric Digital Rights: Beyond Human Rights in the Digital Realm
- Data protection
- Data privacy
- Smartphone security
- Safe space for online activism
- Open source everything: switching-software
- Social media security
- Introduction to the National Internet Gateway
- Data Journalism
- Journalism and data journalism: what are the differences?
- Impact of data journalism on quality journalism
- Data finding
- Data storytelling
- Simplifying data: data humanizing
- Human interview
- Integrating data into story writing
- Fact-checking tools for journalists
- Mobile journalism
- Digital rights reporting
- Environmental reporting
- Election reporting
The Cambodia ICT Camp 2022 is grounded on the success of the previous edition of the Cambodia ICT Camp in 2018, and the Mekong ICT Camp 2017, both hosted in Siem Reap.
We welcome applications from experts in relevant fields committed to promoting human rights and quality journalism in Cambodia. If you are eager to gain new data and tech skills, share your expertise and connect with a like-minded community, this is your opportunity!
Eligibility requirements for Camp participants:
- Work in journalism, media, a tech start-up, a CSO dealing with environmental issues, or be a member of a digital rights working group or university student
- Have a strong interest in using data and ICT tools to solve problems
- Be able to communicate in English
- Be able to produce an in-depth story on a relevant topic
- Have a personal computer
- Be able to attend the whole event (including traveling days)
To join the Camp, please register at https://cambodiaict.net/register/
Deadline of registration: 25th April 2022, at 23:59.
The organizers will arrange and cover all the expenses regarding the round trip transportation, meals, and accommodation for all participants. A bus will leave from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap province on 22nd June 2022 and bring participants back to Phnom Penh on the 26th of June 2022. Please note that the organizers will not be responsible for any other expenses before or after the Camp.
If you have any questions or would like to receive further information, please get in touch with us at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: cambodiaict.net
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CambodiaICTCamp/